Why doesn’t anyone know?
Recycling will change in Long Beach… in just 12 days- during a pandemic, over holiday time with still no notice from the city to residents.
We had been waiting for details but can no longer wait to let you know – it will be very difficult to educate the public, and time is running out!
- paper products must be separated for one pickup; and
- other items together in another pickup (status of glass not confirmed).
- We commend the city who told us they are still PICKING THEM BOTH UP WEEKLY ON THE SAME DAY AS EACH OTHER, WITH TWO SEPARATE TRUCKS. This is huge to keep the items from building up, from getting trashed, and/or from blowing away to become pollution!
- This MAY require recycling pickup dates to CHANGE, as they may break up the citywide pickup into smaller areas, each with it’s own pickup day (awaiting details).
- there likely will be other new instructions, restrictions, changes, and exclusions that we are not yet aware of, that could complicate public education and a smooth transition
- residents could more easily make the change if given the info and time, and we are disappointed that although they said they had a plan, written instructions, and everything ready to go for weeks, and after a two week delay on voting the measure in, that there is still no release of this information to the public.