There is work to be done. Its not all fun and games! Well, some of it is...
Check out our initiatives, and take action with us!
thought meets action: your involvement is required
- ☑ Be 100% Recyclable in NY or 100% compostable without chemicals, so it isn't waste.
- ☑ Be made with a mandatory minimum percentage of recycled content, which rises to 100% over time
- ☑ Be banned or severely limit all non-medically necessary single use items, especially plastic
- ☑ It could mandate that producers take responsibility to reduce and recycle their packaging, with an aim of Zero Single Use items produced, to avoid it becoming a "pay to pollute" scheme.
- ☑ It must not allow burning, melting, nor processes to burn plastics to be considered proper disposal, including "gasification", "chemical recycling", and "advanced recycling", all of which harm the environment and add to climate change.
Single use plastic waste and pollution is expanding, but our systems for dealing with it are breaking down. We need management of these materials AT THE SOURCE, to assure a decline in use and a reuse of materials over their becoming further pollutants. We need policies that include mandating all packaging and "single use" items:
Be part of our ocean-facing energy movement to Displace Dirty Fossil Fuels with renewable energy, like responsibly sited and developed offshore wind and large scale solar, including community projects.
- NY Gas Plan Must Transition Us To Renewables
- Support a Solar Farm at the Oceanside Landfill
- Oppose Unapproved Gas Infrastructure on LI
- Make LIPA Shine with Public Power
The plan they made does not meet the state's mandated climate change goals, to be off of gas in just 19 years! Send a comment that we need a REAL plan!
How do we get from trash pile to community-building power? Support the Oceanside landfill hosting a solar farm!
National Grid just locked us into tens of millions of dollars of unnecessary new gas infrastructure on LI, WITHOUT APPROVAL, using your money. Tell The Governor we won’t pay for more unneeded climate-harming gas hidden in our rates!
They'd save $70 million a year, have better focus on improvement, reliability, and responsiveness, and return to state Public Service oversight as a public utility.
- ☑ Plastic bag pollution is an eyesore and damages our natural surroundings.
- ☑ It causes sewer back-ups, never biodegrades, costs taxpayer dollars to clean up and store in landfills, harms wildlife, is part of the plastic soup accumulating in the ocean, and is generated from non-renewable fossil fuels.
- ☑ Recycling single use plastic bags is a toxic and expensive process and not a viable solution. Less than 10% are actually recycled.
- ☑ I pledge to bring my own reusable bags instead!
Long Beach, NY is a premiere place to live, shop, and visit, and should join the 5 other municipalities on Long Island and hundreds of towns, cities and states who have already passed similar reusable bag legislation.
- ☠ Where do the bags and other plastics end up?
- ☠ At what cost to our environment, marine life and human health?
- ☠ How do we change?
- ☺ The fact is: It's actually Easy. Switch to reusable bags.
- ☠ One reusable bag eliminates 1000 plastic bags!
Join our Long Beach campaign to eliminate Single Use plastic and the pollution it creates.
Support our campaign to make plastic bag pollution a thing of the past.